The Traverse is a fun, participation / introduction type race into the Contact Epic series of races. This course takes riders from the same starting point on the dam as the Epic riders but heads south instead of north. It’s a relatively flat ride with a few uphill pitches. Participants will ride through the middle of a local dairy farm, then traverses the mighty Clutha and the Hawea Rivers in a loop course back to the Hawea Hotel finish line.
The course would be described as an Easy / Grade 2 track and would suit beginner to intermediate mountain bikers, or anyone wanting to ride a fast 35 kms.
*** Important note: all roads and public tracks will be open to public, so please give way to vehicles and walkers who may be using the tracks ***
- Travel south down Domain Rd for about 500 meters, turn right as directed by the marshall onto the start of the Hawea River track. Take care descending towards the river, as there is sharp corner onto a narrow bridge at the bottom.
- The next 6 kms is flat and fast.When you reach Camp Hill Road, give way to vehicles as you cross the road and continue onto the track opposite. Continue south along the Hawea River track for about 2km where you will be directed by a marshall to take a very sharp left turn onto a diary farm.
- Here you will ride up a moderately steep hill for about 300m.This ascent takes you to a plateau and then continues along the farm road for another 1km before a short climb to the highest point of the course. Follow the main farm 4×4 road east to about the 12km mark and turn right again heading south through grass tracks to the start of the descent to the Clutha River. A long fast descent takes you to the Clutha River and Aid Station at the 18.5km mark.
- From the Aid Station, turn right and ride the DOC Newcastle single track west along the banks of the Clutha River then head back toward Hawea on the Hawea River track. Continue along the Hawea River track, over Camp Hill Road, all the way back to the bridge that you crossed near the start. Cross the bridge, climb the hill and turn left back onto Domain Road. Turn right into Noema Tce, left into Bodkin Street and left again onto Capell Ave, which will take you to the finishing chute at the Hawea Hotel.
- There ends your Traverse, a mix of gravel road, paddocks, 4×4 dirt tracks, single track, great views of the mighty Clutha River, the Hawea River and Southern Alps as you return along the Newcastle Track.
- Elevations; Start 352m, High Point: 380m, down to Clutha River 285m, back to Hotel 371m.